Any hopes of Liverpool supporters experiencing improved standards at Marseille have been all but dashed after their statement in response to Newcastle‘s complaints.
Newcastle made the trip to Marseille in the Champions League earlier this week and, in a statement, confirmed they would be formally raising concerns with UEFA after “unacceptable treatment.”
Their statement said the French police “began using unnecessary and disproportionate force” on their supporters as they left the stadium via “a combination of pepper spray, batons and shields.”
It is not the first time the French authorities have taken a heavy-handed approach to football fans that crosses the line. Liverpool supporters experienced as much at the final in 2022.
Liverpool travel to Marseille for their league phase match on January 21, but the hopes of seeing positive change have been shattered after the French side released a statement of their own.
Marseille release statement following Newcastle complaint
Instead of acknowledging their shortcomings and seeking to make positive change, Marseille instead insisted that their security measures were “effective” as they praised the French police.
Their statement said: “Olympique de Marseille also wishes to remind everyone that it deploys significant human, technical, logistical and financial resources at each match to guarantee opposing fans a quality welcome and optimal security conditions.
“The Club also emphasises that no specific incidents or alerts were reported to it by Newcastle United FC during the evening of the match, nor by their representatives present at the stadium, nor in the hours following the match.
“Furthermore, the feedback sent to our department by UEFA after the match confirms the quality of the security measures implemented and their effective operational execution.
“Olympique de Marseille reaffirms once again its unwavering commitment to the safe travel of its own supporters and, consequently, its dedication to providing away fans with a suitable and secure environment. Therefore, the Club cannot accept that its responsibility be wrongly called into question.
“Finally, the Club wishes to commend the rigorous and coordinated work of the Police Prefecture, whose actions ensured the smooth running of the event and the safety of all supporters.”
When Liverpool travel to face Marseille in the Champions League

Liverpool’s penultimate league phase match takes them to Marseille on Wednesday, January 21, and Newcastle‘s travel advice is likely to extend to the Reds’ supporters.
They advised their fans not to visit the Old Port during their stay, nor wear club colours or congregate in large groups, and not to travel unless in possession of a ticket.
Fans were mandated by local authorities and the police to only gather at Place de la Joliette, with supporters only allowed to make their way to the stadium via pre-planned transport from 4.30pm.
Supporters were told they would be held back after the final whistle for at least 40 minutes and then escorted in groups of 500 to the metro station, which could take up to two hours.
What then unfolded has since been described as “unnecessary and disproportionate force” from the police, with supporters treated in contempt for simply supporting their football team.
It is an issue UEFA ought to take seriously, but Marseille’s stance that their procedures were up to standard is a cautionary message for Liverpool fans when they travel early next year.
It should not be like this.
Source link










Add Comment