August 29 – Germany, Poland, Portugal and the Nordic pair of Denmark and Sweden will bid for Euro 2029, European governing body UEFA confirmed today.
In a brief statement, UEFA said: “Bid dossiers were submitted by the football associations of Denmark and Sweden (a joint bid), Germany, Poland and Portugal. UEFA also received confirmation from the football association of Italy that it has withdrawn its candidacy.”
Earlier this summer, Switzerland staged the biggest women’s Euro yet, breaking attendance records and raising the popularity of the game in the host nation. UEFA rewarded the finalists with the highest prize money yet, but so far no official detail has been released as to how close the tournament was to breakeven financially. Delivering a financially sustainable tournament will be a key metric for future hosts.
Germany have built a bid around a commitment to sell at least one million tickets with seven of the eight proposed venues having a capacity of more than 40,000. With a proven record of hosting major tournaments, including the last men’s European championship, and a central location on the continent, the Germans will have strong credentials. They last staged the tournament in 2001.
Denmark and Sweden are teaming up on a Nordic bid after their joint effort with Norway for Euro 2025 lost out to Switzerland. This time, they will go ahead without the Norwegians. The bid is expected to be dropped if UEFA expands the finals to 24 teams, though bidding documents confirm a 16-team tournament and UEFA’s Nadine Kessler said there are no current plans for expansion.
Poland and Portugal, the two other bidders, have never staged a women’s Euro.
Italy withdrew, but the Italians will co-host Euro 2032 with Turkey.
The governing body will award the hosting rights on December 3.
Contact the writer of this story at moc.l1756461228labto1756461228ofdlr1756461228owedi1756461228sni@i1756461228tnuk.1756461228ardni1756461228mas1756461228
Source link
Add Comment