web hit counter Alexander Isak breaks silence: ‘Newcastle have broken promises and what was agreed’ – Liverpool FC – TopLineDaily.Com | Source of Your Latest News
Soccer Sports

Alexander Isak breaks silence: ‘Newcastle have broken promises and what was agreed’ – Liverpool FC

Alexander Isak breaks silence: ‘Newcastle have broken promises and what was agreed’ – Liverpool FC

Alexander Isak has issued a statement on his future, accusing Newcastle of breaking promises and misleading supporters.

In a social media post released on Tuesday night during the PFA Footballer of the Year awards, Isak explained “why change is in the best interest of everyone, not just myself.”

The 25-year-old forward, who was subject of a reported £110 million bid from Liverpool earlier this month, says that Newcastle have known his desire to leave “for a long time.”

He adds that promises have been broken and thus trust has been lost, meaning his relationship with the club “can’t continue.”

Isak’s full message:

I’m proud to be recognised by my fellow professionals with a place in the PFA Premier League Team of the Season for 2024/25.

First and foremost I want to thank my teammates and everyone at Newcastle United who have supported me along the way.

I’m not at the ceremony tonight. With everything going on, it didn’t feel right to be there.

I’ve kept quiet for a long time while others have spoken. That silence has allowed people to push their own version of events, even though they know it doesn’t reflect what was really said and agreed behind closed doors.

The reality is that promises were made and the club has known my position for a long time. To now act as if these issues are only emerging is misleading.

When promises are broken and trust is lost, the relationship can’t continue. That’s where things are for me right now – and why change is in the best interest of everyone, not just myself.

Isak was named in the PFA Team of the Year, alongside five other current Liverpool players, Virgil van Dijk, Milos Kerkez, Alexis Mac Allister, Ryan Gravenberch and Mo Salah.

Liverpool are expected to return with an improved offer before the transfer window closes on September 1.

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - Monday, January 1, 2024: Newcastle United's Alexander Isak (R) and Liverpool's Mohamed Salah during the FA Premier League match between Liverpool FC and Newcastle United FC on New Year's Day at Anfield. Liverpool won 4-2. (Photo by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

Having lost three attacking options this summer, Arne Slot‘s squad is short up front, having only signed Hugo Ekitike so far.

Newcastle are attempting to sign replacements for Isak, but so far failed in their attempts to add a forward, having pursued Ekitike, Benjamin Sesko, Liam Delap and Joao Pedro.

The north east club are currently attempting to sign Yoane Wissa from Brentford, who has gone on strike in order to force a move to Eddie Howe’s side, while also being interested in Chelsea‘s Nicolas Jackson and Wolves‘ Jorgen Strand Larsen.

Liverpool’s move for Isak relies on Newcastle actually being able to get a new forward in before deadline day.


Source link